Thursday, May 10, 2018

Lending Club returns history


Now that I’ve gotten both accounts completely closed I decided to share my history with the Lending Club IRA graphically. I tracked my account holdings daily and rolled these into a weekly spreadsheet. This is the data from the spreadsheet. There are two lines on the graph. One represents the annual return rate by comparing the week ending balance to that of 52 weeks prior (and adjusting for withdrawals). The second is the number of notes in my account (in hundreds).


The initial return rate was running at 8% and all was good. I was using automatic investment, so as cash was accumulated in the account, Lending Club selected new notes to fit the profile I had set. Then in September 2016 the return rate started a steady decline. In early December 2016 I turned off automatic investment when the return rate had fallen to about 4%. The fall was because of an increasing rate of charge offs. This was probably due to increasing age of the portfolio and the fact that automatic investment was doing a poor job at the time.

By the end of 2016 I decided that I had had enough and was going to let the account run out. I started withdrawing the cash as it accumulated. I did experiment in 2017 buying some notes at FOLIO for test cases and accidentally turned on automated investment for a few days and it sucked a lot of cash from my account in 2 days an added over 100 new notes.

The graph demonstrates that the return fell steadily. I don’t know if I could have turned it around by re-investing in more notes and using a strategy other than automatic investing. My next and final post will be a summary of my opinions on Lending Club. Follow me on @billlanke to know when I post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment