Thursday, May 21, 2015

Final thoughts on Lending Club and Folio Investing



There were two more test accounts, Folio Investing and Lending Club. Folio Investing is a broker dealer with some unusual characteristics. They offer cheap trades as long as you are willing to have the trades made during their trading windows, 11 AM and 2 PM. The trades are cheap if you make a high volume of trades. This will likely happen because you keep stocks as a group in separate folios and generally trade them as an entity. They also have many Ready to Go (RTG) folios which are groups of stocks with a common thread. Since the makeup of these change regularly, this also increases trades. They do offer an annual fee of $290 which gives you lots of trades. But this makes it expensive for small accounts.
Folio Investing is fun for those who like to trade stocks. If I were younger, this would be something that would intrigue me. But, I’m attempting to put my investments on auto pilot, hence my interest in robo-advisers. I am going to add funds to this account for the short term in an effort to get some above average growth. But I’ll pull the funds out later in the year and close the account.
I included Lending Club as a test account when in reality it wasn’t. I had opened two small test accounts with Lending Club and Prosper and chose Lending Club over Prosper. I then opened an IRA with Lending Club (actually SDIRA) and rolled over $10,000. This is the account I’ve been reporting on weekly. It’s been successful. I certainly will keep this account and in fact plan on rolling more money into it.
Well, this concludes the experiment with the test accounts, and likely the blog. It has been instructive, interesting, and a lot of work. But I’ve accomplished my objectives. I hope it’s been useful to at least a few people. Obviously, I will be tracking the performance of these larger accounts on a weekly basis for personal reasons. If you have interest in these results, Email me at bill.lanke@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment