Tuesday, July 16, 2019

All analysis start with data


All analytical projects start with data. In our case it will be crypto-currency prices. I need a source of daily price files that I can access and download. Yahoo Finance is a convenient source. I have a program that accesses this data and updates my files. I maintain data on about the top two dozen coins.

The first issue faced is deciding on what period of time to include. I have decided to start my analysis using the 6 quarters beginning in 2018. In some of these periods coin prices were increasing, some decreasing, and others flat. By including each separately, we will get 6 results allowing us to see if any conclusions stand the test of time and in varying market conditions.

To measure market conditions for a period, we’ll use the average closing price change. I don’t like simply taking the last price minus the first price divided by the number of days. This only includes 2 days in the calculations. Instead, I use linear regression to get the best fit for all the days. The resulting slope will be used as the average daily change. It will define the market condition for that period.

Next up, an attempt to answer the question. Should I only trade bitcoins or should I consider other coins? You can follow me on Twitter, @billlanke, to know when I post again. Or you can Email me at bill.lanke@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment