Saturday, July 15, 2017

Can I salvage my Lending Club account?



I have answered several of my questions about Lending Club, but now must face the serious one on how to continue. At the moment, I have rejected the approach of selling my notes and closing the account. Instead, I will allow the account to continue until 2021 when all notes are completed. Meanwhile, I continue to accrue cash in my account as payments are made and loans paid off. I have been withdrawing this and can continue. Or, I could invest in more notes that expire before 2021. I am unlikely to use automated investing to do this because of the luck factor. So, what to do?
One of the graphs I generated during my analysis was the timing of when notes are charged off. The following two graphs show the month finally charged off for both 36 and 60 month loans.

 
The results are not unexpected and show the highest rate of charge offs occur relatively early in the life of the loan. The rate falls in the later stages.
This leads one to think that if you bought loans that were near the end of their life cycle, you would expect those loans to experience less charge offs than younger ones, and hence be more profitable. To test this hypothesis, I purchased 143 notes in the secondary market (in January and February) that are set to complete payments before the end of 2017. Some have (and more will) be charged off, but it appears this rate will be about half the normal rate. It’s not possible to tell if this is a profitable approach until all have finished in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment