Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Schwab Investment Portfolios - 2



The Schwab web site had lots of information about their new offering, Schwab Intelligent Portfolio (SIP). Like the other two robo advisors, the process starts with some questions. The answers that you provide results in the suggested allocations. I answered the questions just as I had answered them for Betterment and Wealthfront.  I found that my tinkering with the answers some of the allocations changed. When I was comfortable with the results I signed up for an account.

The sign up process was pretty straight forward. I elected to transfer funds from an existing Schwab account. The money is from a trade that won’t settle for a few days, so there is a delay in funding the account. I won’t be able to see the ETFs in the portfolio until after the funds are actually transferred and are invested. For the moment we are left to look at the generic allocations.

The proposed allocations were very similar to the allocations I developed a few months ago. I developed mine by looking at multiple sources of allocation recommendations. I ended up with the following broad allocations, 65% stocks, 21% bonds, and 14% alternatives. Taking out the cash component, the SIP portfolio consists of 66% stocks, 23% bonds, and 11% alternatives. The Betterment test account allocates as follows, 55% stocks and 45% bonds (no alternatives). Wealthfront has it 50% stocks, 44% bonds, and 6% alternatives. If one consider the cash component of SIP as an alternative then the allocations become 60% stocks, 21% bonds, and 19% alternatives.

The cash component in the SIP causes some concern. Lots of people feel that you should be fully invested at all times and having cash is a drag on returns. That certainly is true in periods of rising markets like the last few years. But having cash would have been great in 2008-2009. Schwab does have an interesting white paper about this on the SIP web site. I’m inclined to accept their arguments and will withhold judgment for a while.

I’m looking forward to the account actually having the funds invested. I be posting more on this subject. Follow me on Twitter @billlanke and I’ll let you know when I update t

No comments:

Post a Comment