Thursday, March 12, 2015

Schwab Intelligent Portfolios



Schwab has entered the robo advisors arena by introducing Schwab Intelligent Portfolios. This directly competes with two of the test accounts that I have, Betterment and Wealthfront. It apparently will function the same as these, starting with a questionnaire to establish recommended allocations. Then your funds will be invested in a series of ETFs. These will include ETFs from Schwab, Vanguard, and iShares. There will be re-balancing and tax loss harvesting on accounts reaching a certain size.

Schwab will not be charging account fees like Betterment and Wealthfront. But they will make money on the accounts and disclose how on their web site. Already there is criticism from their competitors and others. They point out that the portfolios will have a cash component. This might cost potential lost income for the account holder and another way Schwab can make money off of the account.

There is a lot of information about this offering on the Schwab web site. I haven’t reviewed all of it yet, but will. I’ll also be opening a test account and will be posting my experiences. You can follow me on Twitter @billlanke and I’ll let you know when I make more posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment