Saturday, January 17, 2015

First Week



The first week of the test accounts has finished with no surprises. It’s tempting to compare the performances, but I will not. It’s way too early.  But I will say that while the S&P 500 dropped this week, these test accounts did not.
The IRA rollover transfer for Lending Club is somewhere in the U.S. postal system, so there isn’t anything to report.
I was curious to see if the other three accounts updated the values of their holdings during the day. They do, but since these fall in the buy and hold category, there isn’t really any reason to check frequently.
The first week did provide an opportunity to compare the holdings of Betterment and Wealth Front.  They have about half of their ETFs in common, but with different amounts invested. I checked at mid week and they had about 53% of their balances in common.  So their overall performances should be highly correlated.
I did make an exception and looked at the weekend balances in the portfolios in Folio Investing. In this overall down week for the S&P 500 index, one of the five had an actual gain. It was the one I created using our allocations. I assume in up weeks for the market, these results would be reversed.

No comments:

Post a Comment