Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Betterment, Wealthfront, Vanguard, and Personal Capital



I’ve looked at theoretical performances of models from Betterment, WealthFront, and Vanguard.  I’ve also learned quite a bit about each simply by interacting with their web sites. In addition, Personal Capital, the firm whose advisor started this process for me, is responsible for convincing me to use the approach of allocating my investments over different asset classes and rebalancing periodically.

So, am I ready to pick between these alternatives? No. Clearly I have decided to manage my own investments. I am in the process of designing and implementing my own investment plan. It’s a lot more work than I anticipated. At the same time, I am looking at these issues for someone else. This person is pretty much the opposite of me. She is young, employed, and with less money to invest. It’s become apparent that the effort that I’m making is not feasible for her. So, one of the above choices might be a better approach in her case.

In the interim, I have not been able to eliminate any of the four alternatives that I’ve encountered. That’s because there is something to like about each.

Vanguard is the least expensive of the group. If you use one of the other three, then you will end up with substantial investments in the Vanguard products anyway.

Betterment has a lower cost of entry and may be easier to use than the others.

WealthFront offers more asset classes than the two previous choices. I particularly like the inclusion of a real estate ETF in the mix.

I am quite fond of Personal Capital. They seemed to have a more substantial approach. This is likely because they involve human interaction. But, this comes with a price, the highest cost.

So my jury is still out. Hopefully not for long though.

No comments:

Post a Comment